Monday, January 1, 2007

What If I Have Nothing to Say?

We've been in New York for about 2 1/2 years, and I suppose that part of my anxiety about beginning a blog now is that I'll have nothing to say. What if everything funny or cool or scary or unique has already happened? What if we've missed the most interesting part of our time here? What if we have no new stories to tell? What if I've gotten dumber since graduate school and all ability to theologically reflect is gone? So, why now? Why start a blog now? Isn't that the question that begs to be answered?

I think that I'm finally starting to feel settled here in the city and in the church. It's starting to feel less temporary and more permanent. I have lost my romantic idealism about living in New York City and being a pastor. I'm beginning to find friends and a community outside the church. The truth is, we've been in limbo for so long when it comes to revitalizing the church: will it grow, or not? is this a sign of health, or not? are we really called to be pastors, or not? should we give up, or not? I've said more than a few times that I feel like God is giving us all kinds of signs--I just don't know how to read or interpret them. I guess I've finally stopped looking for signs about the future, and am just living in the present moment. Which means I might be ready to reflect on the reality of my vocation in this particular place.

It's a scary thing, as common as blogging is. It means being vulnerable about your ideas, your politics, your ability to write, the quality of your reflections, your pain and failures, the fact that maybe no one will read it or care (or they will). I've spent that last 2 years feeling as though nothing I did or said really mattered, and now I'm scared that it actually will. Maybe this is the sign I've been looking for.